|Battlecruiser HMS Repulse|
The Renown class comprised a pair of battlecruisers built during the First World War for the Royal Navy, the Renown and Repulse. They were originally laid down as improved versions of the Revenge-class battleships. Their construction was suspended on the outbreak of war on the grounds they would not be ready in a timely manner. Admiral Lord Fisher, upon becoming First Sea Lord, gained approval to restart their construction as battlecruisers that could be built and enter service quickly. Having a full displacement of 36,800tons and length of 242m, they were the world's largest and fastest capital ships upon completion. Even in WWI, they were still some of the largest battleships-battlecruisers of the Royal Navy, second only to HMS Hood and HMS Vanguard.
|Photo of Repulse from the stern.|
Notice the weird triple gun turrets.
|The two Renown class battlecruisers|
|HMS Repulse by Illustrated London News (artist: G. H. Davis), May 6, 1939. For high resolution click here.|
The above image was found at http://longstreet.typepad.com